FRONT AND CENTER AT INVESCO!!!!

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Denver is Great! Getting ready to be a part of history!

Well first of all, let me just say what a great choice for the DNC. Coming from Homer, it is refreshing that there are so many great, nice and genuine people here! Often rare in many cities. Of course, Denver is just the right amount of city I think, it hasn't been as much culture shock as I expected. Of course, it could be the adrenaline pumping through me with all of this excitement...

But really though, it is so exciting here!

Today I spent getting used to the light rail and checking out "LoDo" (lower downtown) before everything explodes with people.
Already, Denver has geared up with police:

(i'm guessing here, but pretty sure this was a drill...)

Check out the cop in the window... hard to see, but this was the only one I could get in a photo...

On my light rail ride (praises to easy, clean, quiet, public transportation) in, I met a lovely couple, both teachers (a retired math teacher and an eighth grade science teacher, who hail from the Cherry Creek area. They were going downtown to check out all the changes before it got too hectic. They pointed me in the right direction of a Whole Foods near my hotel that I could walk to (hurrah), though I wish there was a Locally owned store...sure there must have been before W.Foods descended... and talked with me about my experience, and why they are excited about Joe Biden (voted against No Child Left Behind Act that has made life so difficult for them), and of course, Obama! Lovely people.

They also put me onto a lead of a Ethiopian and a Moroccan restaurant and guided me to the locally owned bookstore, the Tattered Cover (isn't that straight from Harry Potter name great?) :) they also were the first people to say there were No locally owned coffee shops that used locally roasted coffee! I am sad to report that other folks and a desparate search confirms this, thank you starbucks... (on every corner of course!) thank god the bookstore did serve a local roast at their coffee shop! (KBay, I MISS YOU, even this little gem does not compare in the least. apparently Denver isn't as coffee crazed as we Homerites...)

Then, I cruzed the Patagonia store, and met a woman who used to spend her summers in Seward guiding! Great to touch base with her, and she led me to a Taqueria who had $3 margaritas so I only spent $8 on my meal and a drink! Thanks!

There, I was invited over to eat with Jason Steele and his lovely family, who live in Denver. It was so sweet that they invited me over, and it was great to have them share their enthusiam! Jason is a pilot and flight instructor who had loved flying in AK, and who is blogging a city guide to Denver.. He's also got a personal blog which is great, and has great photos of the convention center which he toured! Very cool, indeed!

I will post the photos to this soon. Apparently delegates are a very wired crew at 3 a.m. and the server is too busy...

Much love to you all and THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for your contributions to this amazing experience!!!!

No comments: