FRONT AND CENTER AT INVESCO!!!!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Need More Coffee...


I apologize for the long wait in between posts. I have been learning first hand how it is to be a Kodiak fisherman's wife. It's tough, I have full respect for those women who stay home and take care of the family, the home, the chickens, the bull, hold two jobs...(Renee, I am PROUD of you, you are one of the strongest women I know!) I've been processing fish on my own, knowing that we probably won't get a subsistence set and knowing that the freezer is empty. (but here's to a better moose season than last! 

Anyways, to give those of you who don't know an idea, Kodiak is one of the longest salmon fisheries in the State, as well as one of the most remote. Sure, it's not that far from town, but there are so many spots to be fishing that boats hardly make it to port to make a phone call, check email, have a shower. Get vegetables? Hah! Usually boats make it to port in the middle of the night, when nothing is open. The boat had issues with it's satellite phone, so it wasn't until they were gone for awhile that we got our first call, a total of 2.5 minutes in length, mostly comprising of 'what? you're breaking up!' Renee (captain's wife) said it best when she said that sat phone calls are a practice in divination. And I'm no Hermione! 

So, next time you are making the decision to decide between farmed (raised/dyed) and wild caught, after you think of how much healthier for yourself and the environment the Wild Alaskan Salmon option is, think how of us, and how important to us the fishery is. Those of us involved in Wild Alaskan fisheries hold these values so close to heart that we put up with a lot! 

Obama Supports sustainable fisheries, too! If I can figure out how to convert a pdf so that you can see this, the Obama campaign has a nice commercial fishing policy statement that I've been working on them with... let me know if you know how to do this!




 


No comments: